Even if we are highly educated and work in corporations, our hectic schedules prohibit us from paying attention to simple things that can help us minimize waste at home. Covid’s teachings are essential for both our lives and the health of our Mother Earth. So, we must participate and contribute to make this earth a better place to live.
Here, are the few steps that I have taken to reduce the waste generated at home
- I have reduced the quantity of food I tossed away. Nearly a third or 1.3 billion tons of all food produced for human consumption is thrown away each year. Food waste wastes water, land, energy, labour, and capital, among other resources. By generating unnecessary greenhouse gases, food that is thrown out and subsequently rots in landfills contributes to global warming.
- Now, every time I go to the marketplace, I always carry a reusable bag with me and buy items that are packed minimum or not at all, particularly fruits and vegetables.
- I carry a bottle of water with me all the time. Not only I am avoiding the purchase of throwaway bottled water in this manner, but I am also saving money.
- Avoiding paper cups, because of the inner coating, they cannot be recycled.
- When cutting plastic, particularly milk packages, I avoid cutting off little pieces since small bits are difficult to recycle.
- Storing RO water and using it to plant waters and cleaning the floor.
These are very simple and common steps, known to all of us, but are we following them?